Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Egg Salad and beyond

My kids happen to love egg salad. It is a great GF food.  Now there are probably hundreds of ways to make egg salad and everyone you ask will have their own 'recipe' and they will swear it is the best. The kind their grandmother made, their mother, the corner deli. Some like it plain and some like it fancy. With relish (me!) With celery (not me!)  Dill pickled. Curried. Herbs (tarragon was made for eggs salad!) Mustard? Let your imaginations run free! You notice that I stay away from saying sandwich. For the obvious reasons we don't eat a lot of sandwiches anymore even though there are some pretty great GF breads out there now. Udi's and a local San Diego North County company called Johann's Bakery are the best of the bunch, in my opinion. But more on GF foods later.

 Here is our version of 'the best' egg salad unsandwich~

 Egg Salad Williams' style

Hard boiled eggs (4)
Organic mayonnaise (2 spoonfuls or to your liking)
Relish (1 teaspoon)
Avocado (1)
Course sea salt (to mix in and a grind more to finish on avo)
Rice THINS rice cakes (Wholefoods usually)

~Mash eggs coarsely
~Mix with mayo/relish
~Season with salt, and pepper if you like (I do, kids don't. So we don't add pepper!)
~Scoop onto rice thins
~Top with avocado slices
~Sprinkle with a bit of course salt and here is where I add my pepper

Really great lunch and so versatile, and as long as you go easy on the mayo... a healthy GF food.

No comments:

Post a Comment